Whether for cruising or racing, it is important to be able to determine the best heading on all points of sail. Sailing off the wind increases boat speed but lengthens the distance. Heading too far upwind shortens the distance but reduces speed. To help you select the best heading, SailTimer continuously updates your optimal tacks.
Operating Instructions and Unique Features:
● Save waypoints on the map. Rename them. Then easily display the optimal tacks, tacking distances, headings and times to get to a waypoint.
● If you have our wireless anemometer (www.SailTimerWind.com), the wind direction and speed arrives magically through the air. To see the optimal tacks, there is then only one step: Just enter the waypoint or direction to the waypoint. It is that simple.
● Marine charts (raster) based on the paper charts are also available as low-cost in-app purchases for USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and large-scale charts of The Bahamas and Cuba. Aerial photos and road maps worldwide are available free. All can be used offline.
● The white crosshair icon in the top left is the “Follow-Me” button. If clicked, it turns blue and keeps your location in the center of the screen as you move. Unselect when not moving to look around the map, and when you want to zoom in and out.
● If using an anemometer, you can enlarge the Wind Speedometer to keep an eye on wind gusts. Click the Graph button and you can save or share a graph showing your boat speed and wind speed. The graph saves these for up to 24 hours as long as the device is not rebooted.
● Your device will not go to sleep when the app is open, to allow you to continue to monitor your progress on the chart. You can also continue to track your tacking results with the app running in the background or when the device is asleep (unless you hard-quit).
● ActiveCaptain: Click on flags on the chart for comments and reviews about anchorages, marinas and hazards. It is like a cruising guide that never goes out of date.
● Click on the pin at the end of a pair of tacks to see the distances, heading and time on each tack.
● Custom polar plots: The app can learn your unique sailboat's speed profile on all points of sail, for the most accurate tacking results.
● Switch to the port or starboard tack to avoid obstructions, or let the app automatically display the tack nearest to your current heading.
● Overlay under Options for crowd-sourced Live Wind & Race Maps. You only need to log in once, and your login is retained for offline use. Try it out with the demo replay under Options > Events, of AC45 catamarans and wind conditions from the lead-up to the 2013 America's Cup.
● Save, import or email your GPS track.
● Convert from Apparent to True wind speed & direction.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease device battery life.
• Bug fixed for exporting a polar plot to edit and re-import it.
• Audio Navigation added for the wireless Wind Instrument so you can hear wind conditions or boat speed when they change by more than a set amount. You can put your iPhone/iPad away safe and dry, and use a Bluetooth speaker or earbuds. Keep your hands and eyes free for sailing — no screen required. You can even shut off the screen, to reduce heat and power consumption, and the audio will still happen.
• Bug corrected for opening panel with iPhone display.
- 72.4 MB
- Release Date:
- SailTimer Inc.
Safe to Download