• Get outside and point the Seek Camera at living things
• Identify wildlife and plants you see and take pictures to earn badges
• Learn fun facts about the organisms all around you
OPEN THE CAMERA AND START SEEKING!
Found a mushroom, flower, or bug, and not sure what it is? Open up the Seek Camera to see if it knows!
Drawing from millions of wildlife observations on iNaturalist, Seek shows you lists of commonly recorded insects, birds, plants, amphibians, and more in your area. Scan the environment with the Seek Camera to identify organisms using the tree of life. Add different species to your observations and learn all about them in the process! The more observations you make, the more badges you’ll earn!
This is a great app for families who want to spend more time exploring nature together, and for anyone who wants to learn more about the life all around them.
Seek does not require registration and does not collect any user data by default. Some user data will be collected if you choose to sign in with an iNaturalist account, but you must be over 13 or have your parents permission to do so.
Seek will ask permission to turn on location services, but your location is obscured to respect your privacy while still allowing species suggestions from your general area. Your precise location is never stored in the app or sent to iNaturalist.
Our image recognition technology is based on observations submitted to iNaturalist.org and partner sites, and identified by the iNaturalist community.
Seek is presented by Our Planet and WWF and created by the iNaturalist team. iNaturalist is a joint initiative of the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society. Seek was originally created with support from HHMI Tangled Bank Studios.
- Rebranded iNaturalist assets
- Rebranded iNaturalist assets
- November challenge
- Better accessibility (touchable areas, screen reader labels)
- iOS review prompt
- Access to photo albums from gallery screen
- View species nearby when organism found has a common ancestor
- Italian language support
- Bug fixes, UI tweaks, and stability updates
- Clarify what logging into iNaturalist means on login welcome screen
- Improved support for users with larger font sizes
- Enabled backups of photo thumbnails, so photos will still be shown in observation list even if the original observation is deleted from the camera roll
- Delete observations from Seek and toggle sections in observation list
- Camera displays last species seen longer, so it's easier to snap a photo
- AR camera pinch-to-zoom
Bug fixes and improvements:
- Location accuracy for observations
- Improved help text and error messages on camera
- Faster results after camera screen
- Gallery observations use original photo date and location
- Added terms of service
- User photos displayed on My Observations Screen
- More readable text on AR camera
- Updated observation screen to fix crash / white screen that was happening for some users
- Correct results screen is shown when a user chooses a photo from the camera roll
- We’re aware that users who had Seek v1 are no longer able to see their observation photos in Seek v2. We’re working on showing these photos in the app again in our next release. In the meantime, please DO NOT uninstall or delete the app, as this will permanently delete your observations.
- 185.5 MB
- Release Date:
- iNaturalist, LLC
Safe to Download