Shark Net allows you to connect directly with one of the most amazing predators on the planet – white sharks (Carcharodon carcharias), which return every year to the Gulf of the Farallones and Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuaries along the California coastline.
White sharks are apex predators in our coastal and open ocean ecosystems. Using electronic tags attached to these sharks, you will follow when individuals pass by strategically-placed underwater acoustic listening stations that are satellite uplinked in coastal locations. This technology provides the capacity for real-time uplinks from a shark within 5 minutes of its detection. We also have mobile Wave Gliders cruising the ocean waters, and when a tagged white shark swims past, the detections are sent to the app.
★ Support Shark Research and Get an Exclusive Shark Card
Shark Net is free for everyone, but you can support the research behind Shark Net by adding a message to the Pledge Wall!
Everyone who pledges (0.99+) gets access to "Scar Girl" - an exclusive shark with a 3D model, awesome photos, and videos. All proceeds benefit shark research at Stanford University (see GTOPP.org for more information).
★ Great White Highway, Discovery, Thursday, 9PM
Great White Highway, part of Discovery Channel's Shark Week 2012, follows the Stanford University and Monterey Bay Aquarium White shark research team and their missions to tag and understand the movements of white sharks. Learn more about the sharks in this app, this Thursday on Discovery.
• Interactive 3D models of individual sharks, buoys, and wave gliders, along with biographies and sighting histories
• Customizable map views showing bathymetry, land forms, and marine charts
• In-depth information on the buoys and Wave Gliders we use to study these animals
• Photos and videos from our research team, showing these magnificent animals in their native habitats
• Push notification option to receive real-time data about shark sightings
• Double-tap 3D sharks to see them bite
• Historical Track Data from pop up satellite tags
* app is now tolerant of bad data from server - app will not cache bad data, which would lead to crash at start-up
* fixed - iPad app might would crash if pledge button was pressed twice in a row
app can be downloaded over 3G
buttons on iPhone are now red when selected, to make the UI more intuitive and fast to operate
names of sharks/buoys in carousel now shrink to fit width, instead of being ellipsed
wave glider shows mini-glider icons instead sharks, and no green line
shark fin in iPhone splash screen no longer gets cut off by top status bar
fixed alignment of map scale, in gallery, on iPhone
fixed issue where pledge wall button needed to be pressed twice, after pledge wall had been shown, in order to show it again
- 36.2 MB
- Release Date:
- In-App Purchases:
Shark Spotter $0.99
Shark Tagger $9.99
Fin Finder $4.99
Wave Glider $49.99More
Safe to Download
AppPure.com and the download link of this app are 100% safe. The download link of this app will be redirected to the official App Store site, thus the app is original and has not been modified in any way.Got it