Based on the best-selling book 'Sound Foundations' by pronunciation expert Adrian Underhill, the app features a fully-interactive Phonemic Chart for both British and American English.
You can look up and listen to words and phrases in the WORDLIST, plus record and compare your own pronunciation. All wordlists now come complete with definitions, powered by Macmillan English Dictionary Online. If you’re using a Macmillan coursebook, you can now buy additional wordlists directly inside the app.
PRACTISE your pronunciation reading, writing and listening skills
Test yourself with one of the pronunciation QUIZZES
Use the phonemic TYPEWRITER for free practice
LEARN with lesson plans, videos and top tips for teachers, and study hints for students
*** Winner of the British Council ELTons Award 2012 for 'Innovation in learner resources'. The judges felt that “This is a great app – it is easy to navigate, user-friendly, thorough, and, I am sure, innovative.” ***
COMPLETE FEATURE LIST:
► Interactive Phonemic Chart (British and American English) with high quality audio - tap to hear a sound, or tap and hold to hear the sound and an example word.
► Work in British or American English, and switch between them at any time.
► Vocabulary Wordlist (with over 650 words):
- Phonemic transcriptions and audio
- Record your own pronunciation
- Purchase new wordlists from directly inside the app. Wordlists are available for popular Macmillan coursebooks, as well as topic-based lists. New wordlists feature vocabulary, phrases and audio recordings.
- Turn stress marks on or off to view the primary stress mark in the Wordlist, Practice, Quiz and Type sections.
► Practice Activities (Listen, Read and Write).
► Quizzes (‘3 Minutes’ & '3 Lives' modes) for listening, reading and writing.
► Phonemic Typewriter for free practice.
► ‘Introduction to the Chart' video featuring Adrian Underhill.
► Three downloadable lesson plans for teaching with the Sounds app.
► Top Ten Tips for Teachers.
► Top Ten Tips for Students.
► ‘Teaching with the Chart' – complete workshop video with Adrian Underhill.
► Full Instructions.
*** Some of the great user reviews we’ve received:
“Excellent app for teachers and students alike. Takes the guesswork out of pronunciation and helps with memorisation of the chart.”
“I’m an ESL teacher in Mexico and cannot tell you how handy this app will be in my classes. I simply love it!”
“I’ve been studying for a TEFL qualification and I wish I’d found this app sooner!”
For more information about the phonemic chart, the choice of vocabulary included in the Wordlists, and the benefits of Sounds: The Pronunciation App for both language teachers and students, visit the website at www.soundspronapp.com
Initiative Wordlists added!
- Direct access to Learn & Teach content
- Fully compatible with iOS7
- Phrases are also included in the new Wordlists
- Option to work with primary stress marks in the Wordlist, Practice, Quiz and Type sections
- Select up to 3 specific phonemes to work with in the Practice mode, e.g. practise minimal pairs such as /l/ and /r/.
- All-new ‘Introduction to the Chart’ video with Adrian Underhill
- Three brand new downloadable lesson plans for teaching with the Sounds app, available in the ‘More > More About Phonetics’ section
- 18.6 MB
- Release Date:
- Springer Nature Limited
Safe to Download