"In the battle of the Big Three dictionaries, American Heritage® stands out on iPhone" (4 mice)
More than 33,000 written examples, totaling 4,222,000 words, makes this largest mobile dictionary on ANY platform
The indexes alone are larger than most brand-name dictionaries. Even without the sound files, AHD would still be the largest dictionary in the AppStore.
● the entire text of this best selling book
● complete front matter and appendices
● three-way cross-referencing search
● real-time progressive look-up
● wildcard pattern searches (with * ?)
● spelling suggestion dictionary included
● internal hyperlinking & supports copy/paste
● pop-up pronunciation symbols chart
● IPA pronunciation symbol conversion
● etymology (word history) with root links
● professionally recorded sound files
● zoomable graphics
● unique two-way external application interaction
— first iPhone dictionary with external linking and now most advanced!
● 3D Touch support
● DarkMode support
● iPad multi-screen and Drag & Drop
● iPhone 12 support
● bookmarks with editable notations
● automatic search history
● complete offline use - no Internet connection
The renowned American Heritage® Usage Panel, a group of more than 200 distinguished writers, scholars, and scientists, offers advice on problems of grammar and style; engaging notes explain word histories and clarify differences among synonyms; thousands of quotations and example sentences show words in context; and elegant definitions are enhanced by numerous full-color photographs, drawings, and maps, making this one of the most complete reference tool available on any mobile platform.
Reviews for the application:
"As apps go, only Enfour’s American Heritage® Dictionary stands out for its graphic appeal and functionality. Although I was pleased to have so much lexical firepower in such a compact form, I was annoyed at how poorly the other dictionaries present on the platform." (4 mice)
Editor's Choice. ranking = "Great"
Reviews of the print version:
"The Best Dictionary...Designed to appeal to the eye as well as the mind, it is notable for its imaginative illustrations....This is a great family dictionary, and ideal for schoolrooms."
— The Courier Journal
"This dictionary, now in its fourth edition, makes it fun to look up definitions of words....This up-to-date and eminently useful dictionary features a fabulous full-color design that quickly and effectively guides users to the information they seek."
— Library Journal
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by Enfour's "UniDict® Engine 10"
—thesaurus links work with these products:
"Roget's II: New Thesaurus"
and many more
• Adds rotation for iPhone users. (can be locked in Settings)
• Adds online searching for rare words.
• Adds a "Share" module to search in other apps - with a history feature so you can study later.
• Adds a multiple word set "Word-of-the-Day" feature.
• Wide-ranging UI improvements.
Adds Roget's II Thesaurus via in-app purchase.
New iPhoneX support.
Hardware keyboard support.
- 562.9 MB
- Update Date:
- Enfour, Inc.
Safe to Download
AppPure.com and the download link of this app are 100% safe. The download link of this app will be redirected to the official App Store site, thus the app is original and has not been modified in any way.Got it