*The Dreamhold* is designed for people who have never played IF before. It introduces the common commands and mindset of text adventures, one step at a time. There’s an extensive help system describing standard IF commands, as well as dynamic hints which pop up whenever you seem to be stuck.
I’ve tried to create a game which rewards many species of adventurer: the inexperienced newcomer, the puzzle-hurdler, the casual tourist, the meticulous explorer, the wild experimenter, the seeker after nuances and implications.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Full-length puzzle adventure with several optional side quests and hidden endings.
- Text adventure devotees can turn off the tutorials and hints, or play in Expert mode for additional challenge.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Dynamic in-game map, so you don’t have to scribble boxes on a piece of paper.
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
- Yes, really free. Not “free with ads,” not “freemium.” Just free. I want to introduce people to IF, and this game is how I do it.
*The Dreamhold* won the XYZZY Awards for Best Puzzles and Best Use of Medium in 2004. It is also available (for free) on my web site.
(The cover art is based on a photograph by Trey Ratcliff: The Festival of Lights in Lyon (CC by-nc-sa), remixed with images of Mercury and Io.)
Support for all device sizes, including iPhone X.
- "Share Saved Files" option allows you to import and export saved games between devices, including desktop IF interpreters. (Use AirDrop, iCloud, or a file-management app such as Dropbox.)
- Fixed a bug that would crash when selecting text, if the "Speak Selection" system preference is turned on.
- Fixed a stack bug that could cause a crash after a "quit" command.
- You can make the fonts larger than before.
- Added a screen-brightness slider to the styles menu.
- The scroll area now extends to the margins.
- UI tweaks (button placement and color).
- 7.2 MB
- Release Date:
- Zarfhome Software Consulting
Safe to Download